There is a lot to be said for alternative fuels but the question on everybody's mind is how
well does biodiesel perform?
The answer is, this particular alternative fuel works surprisingly well when compared to pure fossil fuel. An
added plus for it is the fact that when blended up to 20% (B20) no modification of the engine is required.
- Cleans your engine: this fuel cleans the engine as it is used. This improves the way the engine works and
helps it to last longer. When you first use this fuel it is wise to check your filters as they will easily
become plugged at first. Signs of this will be when your engine becomes sluggish .
- Environmentally safe: this fuel burns much cleaner than fossil fuel. One of our biggest problems with
fossil fuel is the pollution it omits when burning. This results in the proverbial smog and contributes to acid
rain. Burning a cleaner fuel will help to offset these environmental problems and decrease pollution.
- Lubrication: it has been proved that Biodiesel has a better performance than fossil fuels due to better
lubrication. This ensures that the engine will run better.
- Faster ignition: this form of fuel will ignite faster giving a faster start up.
A few problems include:
- Slower in winter: the oils used to make this alternative fuel get thicker when cool and do not perform so
well in colder temperatures. Some engines have been modified for this problem and have devices to warm the fuel
before it is used by the engine.
- Higher nitrogen oxide: This type of fuel produces more nitrogen oxide in the air than fossil fuels.
Additives are used to resolve this problem.
The overall Biodiesel performance is good and this fuel is a very viable alterative to pure fossil fuel. Some
people do use B100 or 100% in their engines, but this does require some modification of the engine itself to keep
it working well. Others even make the fuel at home. Blends of up to B20 are safe for normal diesel engines
and require no further modification. So why not try this alternative fuel today and save yourself some cash at the